Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Value Added

Enough with Bernie Madoff and Michael Jackson. All this sensationalism and in depth news and no value added to your life. Yesterday, I got a lesson in technical analysis that was insightful and I plan to use along with my fundamental knowledge and experience. But while individuals look for 1000% return on some unnamed pharma stock or penny stock, there should be a focus on dividends. A steady return can help one be optimistic in a bear market. For example, I own GME (Gamestop), I like their business model, there in a niche market and have a fortress balance sheet. However, they pay no dividends, so even if the stock doubles within a year, my annualized return would be 50%. Also, the opportunity cost would be greater, because I did not purchase another security paying a 4% dividend so I do not get to compound my returns. I am aware growing and technology firms reinvest free cash but make sure you provide room in your portfolio for dividend paying securities.

No comments:

Post a Comment